06 November 2011

Last odes of the 2011 season in southeastern MI

While walking around campus at my workplace in Farmington Hills, Oakland County, MI, during lunch hour on October 24, 2011, I found 3 of the last dragonfly species of the season.

3+ Familiar Bluet (Enallagma civile)
1 Common Green Darner (Anax junius)
4+ Autumn Meadowhawks (Sympetrum vicinum)

Over the following days I kept an eye out for these since the late dates for specimens was approaching.

On October 31, I was able to find a female Eastern Forktail (Ischnura verticalis) for what I believe is a new late date for a MI voucher. The previous late date was an individual I had on 10/07/07.

This image is of a female I found in Monroe County earlier in October:


On November 2, I found one female and one male Familiar Bluet (E. civile)! This, too, is what I believe to be the latest date for a MI voucher. The previous late date was an individual I had on 10/19/10. Here is the male:


Today is one of the truly nice days remaining for this year. We'll head out to look for the last possibilities of flying damsels around here.

2 comments:

mfophotos said...

Yes, it's great getting those late records. Nice catch with the latest giant spreadwing on 11/7!

Darrin OBrien said...

Julie had an Anax junius at UM-Dearborn today (11/8/11)! Amazing...